The history of our family linked to the winery dates back to 1886, the year in which Giuseppe Scotto bought his first land in Santa Potenziana in the municipality of Monte Argentario at 300 meters above sea level. near Porto Ercole. Giuseppe decided to plant the first Ansonica grapes there, growing a vineyard that the family still cultivates today, after five generations. In those years everything, from viticulture, to harvesting and winemaking, were manual processes made possible by the aid of donkeys equipped with bastions on which tubs for transporting the grapes and wine were hooked. In the cellar for vinification, open-air tanks were used with mashing in the evening and in the morning; the wine was then decanted with barrels placed on the bottling, the same used for transport with donkeys. Today as in the past, the work on Monte Argentario is done by hand due to the steep terrain, the dry stone walls and the lack of roads. The first grapes were vinified by Giuseppe, called “Il Moro”, and later it was his son, Salvatore, called “Tore del Moro”, who, together with his three sons and a girl, carried on the business until 1956. In that same year the eldest son, Nicola, went to live in the current headquarters of the company, where he planted the new vineyards. Due to the unsuitable soil, he had to wait until the 1960s to have others in the hilly area where he began to produce Sangiovese, Ciliegiolo, Malvasia and Ansonica. These wines were intended for sale in bulk, to individuals, taverns, and bars; while the non-vinified grapes were sold in the markets of Massa Carrara, La Spezia, Genoa and Savona. In 1977 his son Luciano began the modernization of the company and, in 1981, with the help of an oenologist, he began selling bottled wine. The first whites were Fonteblanda and Regio Etrusco, while the red, Monte Argentario. In these years he planted Vermentino, and in 1983, with the collaboration of Marco Stefanini an expert, he introduced white winemaking and fermentation at a controlled temperature.